With the release of Office 2008 for the Mac, Microsoft has now updated both of its office suites. Office 2007 and Office 2008 both bring a new set of file formats to the computing environment on campus.
By default, these new versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint save in .docx, .pptx and .xlsx, respectively. These formats are not backwards compatible with previous versions of Microsoft Office on the Mac or PC. In other words, if you send a file saved in a new version of any of these applications to someone with an older version, they will not be able to open it.
Unless you follow these simple steps to make your new version of Office save to the older file formats by default:
On the Mac:
- In Microsoft Word 2008 and PowerPoint 2008, choose the application menu from the menu bar
- Word > Preferences…
- PowerPoint Preferences…
- Click the Save button
- From the Save [...] files as: menu choose
- Microsoft Word 97 – 2004 Document (.doc)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97 – 2004 Presentation (.ppt)
- In Microsoft Excel 2008, choose the application menu from the menu bar
- Excel > Preferences…
- Excel 97 – 2004 Workbook (.xls)
On the PC:
- Click the Office menu and choose [...] Options
- Choose Save
- From the Save files in this format: menu
- Word 97 – 2003 (*.doc)
- Excel 97 – 2003 (*.xls)
- PowerPoint 97 – 2003 (*.ppt)
If you have any questions about setting your default save preferences, contact the HelpDesk at 7777.
Category: general Comments Off